Translating between Fractions, Decimals and Percents
This lesson unit is intended to help students to:
- Compare, convert between and order fractions, decimals, and percents.
- Use area and linear models of fractions, decimals, and percents to understand equivalence.
This lesson unit is structured in the following way:
- Before the lesson, students work individually on an assessment task designed to reveal their current understanding. You then review their responses and create questions for students to consider when improving their work.
- Students work in small groups on a collaborative discussion task, placing decimal/percent, and fraction cards in order, along with area and linear diagrams that assist them in justifying and explaining their thinking.
- In a whole-class discussion, students discuss what they have learned.
- Finally, students revisit their initial work on the assessment task and work alone on a similar task to the introductory task.
- Each student will need a copy of the assessment tasks Fractions, Decimals, and Percents and Fractions, Decimals and, Percents (revisited).
- Each small group of students will need some plain paper, cut-up copies of all of the Card Sets, some poster paper, and a glue stick.
15 minutes before the lesson, an 80-minute lesson (or two shorter lessons), and 20 minutes in a follow-up lesson (or for homework). Exact timings will depend on the needs of the class.
This lesson involves a range of mathematical practices from the standards, with emphasis on:
- MP1: Make sense of problems and persevere in solving them
- MP2: Reason abstractly and quantitatively
- MP3: Construct viable arguments and critique the reasoning of others
- MP4: Model with mathematics
- MP5: Use appropriate tools strategically
- MP6: Attend to precision
- MP7: Look for and make use of structure
- MP8: Look for and express regularity in repeated reasoning
Mathematical Content Standards
This lesson asks students to select and apply mathematical content from across the grades, including the content standards: